Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Mom's Group Reflection

I belong to a Mom's group through the Catholic Church. We meet every Wednesday morning. There is a guest speaker each week and grandmothers volunteer to watch the babies and toddlers. And in a Catholic women's group there are alot of children! One mom is pregnant with her 6th child and another is pregnant with her 4th child. I do want more children but I don't think I will catch up with those ladies :)

So today another mom shared how she will often do the EASY thing and just take her eldest daughter to church. Her 15 year old daughter likes to go to church and it is hard to get the younger children to go. So the other day she decided to take all the children to church. She said to them, "Anyone who comes to church with me will stop by McDonalds for lunch after." Of course all the children went to church this day. It was a weekday mass (February break) and the Priest did not do a homily so it was a short mass. The mom's young son was so impressed! "Wow," he said, "If weekday mass is only 20 minutes, I will go ALL the time!". He was quite glad that he went to church that day and the mother was glad she didn't take the easy way out.

This story made me reflect about the times that I also take the EASY way out. I will often skip church because it is easier to stay home. It is hard to get Dolan all bundled up and then watch him and keep him quiet during the mass.

1 comment:

Nevada said...

I try to get Gemma to stay in the service as long as possible, but when her attention span runs out there is a little playrorm at the back where we hang out. It gets lonely back there, but sometimes people come in and visit us. Gemma is the only baby at church, so we have no Moms ministry yet, or real nursery or Sunday school. I do wonder sometimes 'Whats the point' if all we do is sit in tehback room together; I mean, we can stay home and play, but I think its important a) for me to get some social interaction before and after church b) to mainain our relationships with people by not being one of those disapearing parents who you never see once they have babies c) for Gemma to get to know her church, the place and the people.

I've always loved my churches, and found them to be excellent sources of community. I couldn't imagine life without church, really.